Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Height of the average endurance horse

Height of the average endurance horse 1 year 5 months ago #1

• LB
Hi, i am 1.8 m tall and a lightweight rider. What would you say is the size of arabs that i can ride?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Height of the average endurance horse 1 year 5 months ago #2

• RiffRaff
  • Thank you received: 33
As you are a lightweight (now I am very jealous) you do not need to worry too much about size, rather concentrate on buying a horse that can do endurance, not all arabs are endurance horses.

One thing you may have to think about is that people with very long legs sometimes struggle with leg aids on smaller horses. Take your instructor with you when you go and look at a horse, they can give you a few pointers when riding. Let somebody take a photo of you while riding, this way you will also know what you look like on the horse, I'm just 1.75 and very conscious of looking like my 'feet are dragging behind the horse'!
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by RiffRaff.

Height of the average endurance horse 1 year 5 months ago #3

• LB
I know exactly what u mean with the feet dragging. I hate that to, problem is most arabs are small, i also had a 15.3hh horse and had trouble with my leg aids seeing as hy was already a bit to small for me. I don't know what i am going to do for an endurance horse. RiffRaff what do u mean not all arabs can do endurance. I only what to ride at a speed of 15km/h, i am not very competative. The guy in the pic is the same height as i am.
Attachments:

Height of the average endurance horse 1 year 5 months ago #4

• RiffRaff
  • Thank you received: 33
Like not all TB horses are good at racing, not all WB are jumpers. Some arabs are bred for showing and others for endurance and some are just not good at showing or endurance. I have three arabs, all are bred for endurance but the one horse is useless at it, he thinks he is way too cool for such hard word, he prefers looking pretty!
Why must it be an arab? If you feel you are too tall for a small horse, try a larger horse of another breed. Lots of people do only 30km or a step ladder on Saddlers, Boerperde and TB's.

Height of the average endurance horse 1 year 5 months ago #5

• LB
Well i bought a 15.2hh boerperd x saddler x tb, that suited me fine. Problem is i bought him at 10, at 13 yo he started developing arthritis, or so Dr Duncan Prinsloo told me, he said he is to big for endurance, he also would kill himself in the first 20 km but i doubt it that he would do 60 km, maybe but at a slower speed that 14 km/h. I than promised myself that i would buy an arab, they are better suited for it and it took a lot of exercise for my gelding to do 40 km at 15 km/h. I don't want to make the same mistake, i never want to feel that i am hurting or pushing a horse.

Height of the average endurance horse 1 year 5 months ago #6

• lize smit
  • Thank you received: 10
If you want to do endurance I would defnitely reccommend an Arab. Go look at the endurance rides-what is the most common type of horse you see? Arabians. Yes you get Boerperde and Anglo Arabs and sometimes the odd Apaloosa but the ones that usually is the better athletes on the track is the Arabians or Arab crosses.

Arabians have the better muscle to weight ratio for endurance. If you ask most people what would be the ideal size for endurance they would say 14.3 hands. But as you are a tall lightweight rider I would go for 15 hands.

Try doing some research on the good endurance lines ( ask around at the endurance races) . But in my opinion in the end correct FEED and TRAINING and CONDITIONING is very important in the endurance horse

Good luck, the 15 hands Arabians are not that common. I would think that an Anglo Arab would also suit a tall rider, but if you go that way try and get an Anglo with 25% Thoroughbred and 75% Arab. The thouroughbred would give you the height and speed but ultimately it is the Arab that gives you the stamina and endurance.

Height of the average endurance horse 1 year 5 months ago #7

• RobynE
  • Thank you received: 39
My BP X Arab is bred from 2 well known endurance horses. Apparently his Arab line is spectacular as far as endurance goes. Don't ask me for names because I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is that from a conformation perspective he would really struggle to carry any sort of weight over distances. He would be absolutely stuffed in a few years. That being said, for all his endurance breeding, he is a superb jumper, does good dressage and is as brave and honest as the day is long over any sort of fence. So he is my little eventing protégé even though I bought him as a happy hack. But his back will always need attention and care. For info he is 15.1hh with shoes all round (measured today) at 7yo and is the horse in my avatar.
Loving life!
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by RobynE.

Height of the average endurance horse 1 year 5 months ago #8

• RobynE
  • Thank you received: 39
Above post in response and agreement with RiffRaff's post. Not all Arabs or part-breds do endurance horses make. My 14.3hh Nooitie-type OBP pony would easily carry more weight over a greater distance than my Arab x. She can ride out for hours without breaking a sweat or "feeling it" at all, and regularly does so.
Loving life!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 6.968 seconds

Forum Menu